As Midsummer House forges ahead into its third decade, Daniel Clifford’s elegant, sophisticated modern British cooking continues to evolve. For over twenty years, passion and creativity have skilfully shaped the menu at Midsummer House, showcasing the finest seasonal produce and offering a contemporary British dining experience of the highest quality.
Daniel Clifford opened the restaurant in 1998 and since then, following two devastating floods in 1999 and 2000 which ruined the cellar and ground floor, the building has been upgraded and refurbished to the highest possible standards. The larger kitchen is now world-class and the main house now hosts 14 tables and the open plan conservatory has three parts.
The comfortable Victorian villa stands with its back to the river Cam and looks out on the grazing cows of Midsummer Common from the front. The dining room, situated in the conservatory, is the perfect combination of formal and informal – an intimate environment with a friendly atmosphere. A window to the kitchen opens onto the action, where Clifford, along with Head Chef Mark Abbott and their team, are busy constructing precise, thoughtful dishes delivered via a tasting menu and a lunch menu from Wednesdays to Saturdays. To complement the refined contemporary British cuisine, the sommeliers have carefully paired each course with a wine to complete the Midsummer House dining experience as well as a beautiful non-alcoholic pairing. We also have a beautiful and comprehensive wine list for you to peruse, wines by the glass are also available and a digestif list for after dinner drinks in the lounge or terrace.
- Awarded one Michelin star 2002
- Awarded two Michelin stars 2004
- The only two Michelin-starred restaurant in the East of England
- Listed in 50 Best Discovery
- Awarded five AA rosettes 2014
- Awarded #l Travellers’ Choice Favourite Fine Dining Restaurants United Kingdom Awarded #2 Travellers’ Choice Favourite Fine Dining Restaurants Worldwide Awarded AA Chefs’ Chef of the Year 2015
- Winner BBC Great British Menu winner 2012 and 2013 (Daniel) and 2016 (Mark)